EXERCISES FOR PARALYSIS PATIENTS
Prefer a personal touch? Try +91-7863800400
EXERCISES FOR PARALYSIS PATIENTS
HOW PARALYSIS STARTS?
Paralysis will be caused due to various reasons, and the most common reasons are
- Injury to the spinal cord or head,
- Stroke, and
- Multiple sclerosis.
Benefits Of Exercise For Paralysis
Even though a person suffering from paralysis loses the ability to move in certain parts of the body, it is crucial to have some or other form of regular exercise. The biggest benefit of exercise is that it will help to maintain and improve blood circulation and also strengthen the affected muscles. It will also help you regain balance and motor skills in the affected areas.
BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROL FOR PARALYSIS
High blood pressure is the major cause of stroke. Extremely elevated blood pressure can damage blood vessels in the brain. Making a few changes to your lifestyle can help a lot to lower blood pressure or keep it under control.
There are two types of stroke-
- Ischemic stroke
An ischemic stroke happens when a blood vessel becomes blocked, usually by a blood clot and a portion of the brain becomes contains oxygen, resulting in decreased functioning of the brain. Brain hemorrhages occur when an artery in the brain bursts. High blood pressure can lead to stroke by damaging and weakening your brain's blood vessels.
Sometimes people can lower down high blood pressure by making simple lifestyle changes, but you may also need to take medications as advised by our ayurvedic doctors. Reducing the amount of salt you eat is one of the most important habits that you can perform to reduce your blood pressure. All paralysis patients are highly advised to take a low- salt diet.
PC6 is an important acupressure point to control blood pressure naturally. Found at the distance of three finger width from the wrist crease on the inner forearm. This point is activated by applying pressure using the thumb.
DIABETES CONTROL IN PARALYSIS
One of the techniques that are very effective in controlling diabetes is Acupressure therapy. By putting pressure on the right acupressure point (Pancreas point) can help to control diabetes. Having high blood sugar damages blood vessels over time, making clots more likely to form inside them. Regularly pressing and massaging this point will help to reduce diabetes. Diabetes can be controlled with the proper use of acupressure points.
Various Exercises For Paralysis Patients
1.LEG AND WALKING EXERCISES
Easy balance and walking exercises for paralysis patients are provided by our experienced doctors. These exercises will improve coordination and strength in your legs. Practice moving and walking as much as you can. Recovery of paralysis depending on the patient's medical condition and cause of paralysis. Regain balance of stroke with Sai Sanjivani treatment and repetitive exercise. Home walk and balance exercises will reconnect the brain and muscles that can help restore balance.
Walking in paralysis patients are:
3. Outward walking
Walking is very important in paralysis patients and affected walking should not stop the walking of a patient. But daily exercises are to be performed to cure the patients.
#Walking_exercise for paralysis patients:
1. Normal walking
2. Toe to toe walking (patient can walk with the help of a wall)
3. Backward walking
patients can perform #indoor_exercises also
. Marching exercise (marching should be performed with the help of a steady and heavy table). Marching is very important to exercise as patients avoid bending the knee while walking.
TOP LEG EXERCISES IN PARALYSIS:
1. Leg exercise using chair and table by holding the chair from the normal body side and lifting the legs sidewards of the affected part.
2. Leg exercises by Leg Raise mean raising your legs one by one and instruct the patient left, right, left, right to raise their legs.
3. Leg exercises Using Foam piece by standing on a foam piece of around 2 ft and try to balance on it.
4. Mirror - Image Exercise means doing exercise in front of a full-length mirror so that the movement is clearly visible.
5. Leg Exercises though Side way leg Raises by taking the support of a table on the normal side and then raise affected legs slowly sideward.
6. knee Bend Exercises for Leg muscles by folding your knee upward to stretch the legs.
7. Forward-Backward Leg movement Exercises in which you have to move your legs forward and backward one by one. it helps in opening the muscles.
8. Sidewall Exercises by standing on the support of the wall and sit and stand slowly with your back touching the wall.
9. Leg Movement Exercises using Rubberband in which rubber band is put inside your foot arch and then it stretches the leg muscle.
10. Body movement using Passive Exercises ( With the help of an assistant). it is done by an assistant in which he lifts the leg of the patient and provides support to him.
BEGINNER LEVEL PARALYSIS EXERCISES:
1. While lying down on the bed and lift your hips up as shown in the video for 10 seconds with the help of pressing your palms. Repeat it 5 times.
2. Lie on back and knees bent. Move your both legs to the left across your body and then move both legs to right across your body. Repeat this 30 times.
3. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Roll your bent left knee to one side and switch legs.
INTERMEDIATE LEVEL EXERCISES:
1. Lift up your legs and rest your legs on a gym ball. Place the bottom of your foot on the gym ball and push your hips off the floor. Repeat 10 times.
2. Lie on one side and slightly bend both the legs. Now spread knee apart lifting upper knee towards ceiling. Repeat 30 times.
3. Change your position and sit like a crawling child. Then lift your right hand and left leg together and then switch.
ADVANCE LEVEL EXERCISES
1. Gym ball exercise - Lie on the floor keeping your legs on the ball and your hands above your head then lift your hip and hold your body for a few seconds.
2. Lie down from the side of your stomach and raise your legs and arms together and hold the pose.
2. ARM EXERCISE
The major cause of paralysis is brain stroke and it occurs when blood supply to the brain is interrupted by infarct or brain hemorrhage. These are two types of strokes which are caused by a blockage or clot in a blood vessel in your brain. Repetition is beneficial for all paralysis patients to regain muscle movement, strength, and coordination. You need to practice your muscles repetitively.
An easy and simple basic level arm exercises for paralysis patients:
You will need: Table
# Inner Arm Stretches
Keep your palms down on the table and allow your wrist to rotate so that fingers pointing at your body. Hold onto 30 this position for 30 seconds.
3. WRIST AND FINGER EXERCISE
There are easy and simple wrist and finger exercises for paralysis patients. These exercises can be performed using simple objects such as pens, coins, and water bottles. To bring back full control of your hands to grasp and release objects, you need to repeatedly perform these exercises. While recovery from paralysis or stroke, you need to repeatedly move your affected hand so that the brain starts reconnecting to the muscle. Here are a few of the best exercises for improving muscle function in the affected hand:
VARIOUS STEPS -
1. Hold the water bottle in the affected hand and slowly support the affected hand with the unaffected hand. Gently bend your wrist forward. Do keep the elbow glued to your side. Repeat 10 times.
2. Gently bend your wrist backward and keep supporting the affected hand with the unaffected hand. You can also us smiley ball or light dumbbells.
3. Allow your wrists to rotate fully at 360 degrees.
4. Hold the water bottle in your hand and place the affected hand on the table. Curl up your fingers and grasp the bottle in your hand and release back down.
5. Use your thumb and index finger to hold the pen in place and put the pen down on the table.
6. To improve fine motor skills, hold the coin between your thumb and fingers and practice stalking coins on top of each other.
7. Spin a pen between your fingers.
4. SHOULDER EXERCISE
These shoulder exercises for paralysis patients will be highly beneficial for those who want to improve strength and ability to move freely. Patients with little or no movement in the shoulder can practice these exercises once in a day and can increase the range of motion in the shoulders. A lot of patients experience shoulder drop in the first six months after paralysis. At Sai Sanjivani, we advise our patients to perform occupational therapy while recovering from paralysis. Occupational therapy enables a patient to regain the ability to maintain balance, perform daily activities, concentrate and relearn basic movements.
Sit down on the chair in front of the table. Fold the towel in the middle of the table. Place your both hands on the towel and slide the towel away from you.
2. Shoulder Shrug
Make sure you stand tall and lift your affected shoulder to the ears. Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Again put the table in front of you and place your both hands on the folded towel, now move both of your hands on the table from side to side.
4. Stand straight
Hold the old age walking stick with both hands in front of your body. Next, move the stick sideways swinging.
5. HAND EXERCISE
Hand exercises for paralysis patients help in simple hand, wrist, fingers, elbow, shoulder and arm exercise for paralysis to prevent muscle stiffness, improve fine motor skills, hand function, coordination and bring back your hand strength. If you are beginning with little hand movement, then these exercises are best to start.
There are easy and simple hand exercises that you can easily add up in your paralysis recovery routine. Exercises that are shown in standing, sitting or seated patients can be easily adapted according to the patient's needs. Paralysis treatment provided by Sai Sanjivani and exercising on a daily basis will build new pathways in your brain. These exercises may be performed alone and may require some assistance.
Things you need to follow:
- Smiley ball,
- Neuro M Massage oil,
- Elastic band,
- Rubber band,
- Hand strengthener,
- Hand & Piano Grip,
- Stacking Rings Baby Toy.
1. Seated exercise of hand with the smiley ball
Patients should perform exercises depending upon the stage of recovery. Practice these exercises the number of times you can. A few best ways to improve strength in your weaker hand, Shoulder, wrist, elbow, finger, and grip exercises are helpful for paralysis patients.
2. Arm exercise with elastic band and towel
With the help of a towel, elastic band, and Neuro M Massage oil, you can perform these exercises to regain movement in your hand and arm. Practicing exercises regularly along with ayurvedic medicines for paralysis by Sai Sanjivani will ensure faster results in recovery.
3. Shoulder stretching exercises
Effective shoulder stretching exercises at home Improve strength, control, and ability in your shoulder and continue recovery and progress in paralysis patients. Some people like using a gym ball.
4. Physiotherapy for fingers using a rubber band and hand strengthener
Improve finger strength and movement after paralysis by performing this exercise. Increase grip strength and get relief from stiffness using Hand Strengthener and Hand & Piano Grip These devices are a very affordable option and will strengthen your finger muscles.
6. SPEECH THERAPY
The speech therapy will help all paralysis patients who had difficulty in speaking and understanding speech. Having paralysis can be a traumatic experience, but for many paralysis, patients sing therapy could be a solution. Singing therapy is beneficial for all paralysis patients to gain the ability to speak again. You can start by singing something and gradually you will regain the ability to speak those sentences normally.
To bring positive results in paralysis patients,
First, the caretaker has to recreate speech through singing. How it’s done: then, they can ask the question to the patient through singing, such as " Do you want water?" , “How are you?” or “Please pass the salt.” The phrases are sung in words and sentences. The patient can give answers while singing words and sentences when they cannot speak. These things you and your family members can do to recover speech abilities and gives hope to a thousand patients out there who have lost the ability to speak.
At Sai Sanjivani, we provide the best paralysis treatment. And our ayurvedic medicines which work on the root cause of paralysis and increases the recovery chances of paralysis condition.